The right to seek support from the Social Services

Your rights:

  • If the Social Services does not grant your application they must write this on a piece of paper and give to you. If you do not receive a written rejection, ask for it, it’s your right to get it.
  • You have the right to apply for financial aid (money for rent and food). Call the Social Services in the town/city you live in and ask to submit an application for financial assistance. If they say no, demand to submit an application anyway because you live in the municipality and you can not resolve the situation in another way. Tell them that the municipality is responsible for the people who live there, even for
    undocumented migrants.
  • You have the right to appeal to the Social Services and if necessary get help by the Social Services to make an appeal.

The municipality is responsible for all persons who live within it’s borders. That includes everyone who have been in the municipality over the last four weeks, regardless of whether you have a permanent residence permit or not. The Social Services have the responsibility even for those who have had their application for asylum rejected but still stay in Sweden. This is important to know and to communicate when you first contact the Social Services. You can also bring another person with you to the Social Services as support.

At the Social Services you can apply for help with care, treatment or other support because of mental illness, addiction or disability. You can also apply for a contact person, weekend stay at a camp or other support for children and adolescents. You can also apply for financial assistance. Social services can not motivate not to receive or grant your request because you do not have a social security number.


  • When the Social Services are in contact with people who have applied for a residence permit but been denied, they do NOT have to contact the police. When you call the Social Services the first time, tell them this so that you are sure that they do not contact the police or the Migration Board.
  • However, if the police or the Migration Board themselves, contact the Social Services and ask for a person they know the name of, the Social Services must give out your information. Therefore it is good to tell a different address than the one you live in to the Social services.
  • If the Social services get in contact with a person who never applied for a residence permit they have to contact the Migration Board.
  • Unfortunately, regulations, interpretations of the law and the way the Social Services act are different in different neighborhoods and municipalities. The information contained in this brochure may therefore work better at certain social welfare offices and worse at others.